Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Working Life - Part 3

After returning home from Texas, I wasted no time heading to the place I was supposed to get transferred to. I talked to one of the managers there about it and handed in my application. I think this was sometime near the end of July.

Well I never heard anything back until the end of September. I was completely surprised as I had nearly forgotten all about it. I called them back and set up an interview time. It was nice that this one didn't take place in the middle of the store. The manager seemed extremely nice! We mainly just talked about the differences between their store and the one in Texas. It was pretty funny and I knew this would be good.

Then they had a training one morning with about 6 other ladies that would also be starting for seasonal work. They were all older, but I didn't mind. It was nice that they actually trained you on the cash registers unlike in Texas. Since the system was the same, I just stood and listened and let the ladies that haven't experienced the computers yet get a closer look. The only downside was that the hours were far less. They only scheduled people for 4-hour shifts at a time a few times a week with an on-call. However, it was consistent among everyone, so no complaints there.

Here I did have to be a sales associate as well which was a little scary. Because it was a smaller store, there were only a few of us there during each shift and I was usually up front greeting people. It was scary at first, but I eventually warmed up to my position and greeted people entering and asked if they needed any help.

I do remember one time one of the managers that I didn't care for so much told me I needed to be right up front and not hiding behind anything. I was so confused because I was never hiding behind anything. Apparently I wasn't the only person she would tell this to.

Another new girl started at some point and I worked a shift with her up front and she sounded just like me. We greeted everyone the same and hated answering those darn phones. We were pretty much clueless about the stuff in the store and helped each other out a lot. It was nice to have someone to relate to.

There was one lady that always made me nervous if I had a shift with her. I guess I wasn't loud enough and she'd always be joking with me about speaking up more. She was very nice, but something about her always made me nervous to be around. It was probably a feeling of not being good enough or not doing things right because she seemed to always be correcting me on something that I don't think was wrong, but just not HER way. Oh well.

I was pretty proud though when I helped a customer with this huge order. Basically she came in and knew exactly what she wanted. It was tons of dining items (plates, serving bowls and spoons, napkin rings, etc). I took this on by myself and went back in storage and hunted up all the items. She was very pleased with my help and even told the manager how great I was. I thought, "I CAN do something right! I AM assertive!" I was feeling really good at that point. No way my hours will dwindle down to nothing.

I worked through the end of December and by then people were just getting scheduled for on-calls which they rarely used. My work here never had much of a closure. I was never scheduled and they said they would call if I was and that seemed to be the end of it.

0 comments: